What is it?
Businesses in the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors in England will not have to pay business rates for the 2020-21 tax year. Businesses that received the retail discount in the 2019-20 tax year will be rebilled by their local authority as soon as possible.
Am I eligible?
You will be eligible if:
1. Your business is based in England*, AND
2. Your business is in the retail, hospitality and/or leisure sector. Properties that will benefit from the relief will be those that are wholly or mainly being used:
a. as shops, restaurants, cafes, drinking establishments, cinemas and live music venues, b. for assembly and leisure; or c. as hotels, guest and boarding premises and self-catering accommodation.
How do I access it?
1. There is no action for you. Local authorities will apply the business rates holiday to your bills. For more information please check the guidance on gov.uk.
2. You can estimate the business rate charge you will no longer have to pay this year using the business rates calculator.
3. You can find your local authority on gov.uk.
When can I access it?
This will apply to your business rates bills for the 2020/2021 tax year. However, local authorities may have to reissue your bill. They will do this as soon as possible.